Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Lining the Drawstring Bag

I mentioned my drawstring bag pattern to someone on a list I read. One of the readers asked how I would line it. Here is my answer. By the way, the bag in the picture is the small bag I made first. I used my medium sized bag as the "guinea pig" when I developed these instructions.

You wouldn't need denim for the lining, but you will need a woven fabric that won't stretch. I'd use a closely woven fabric that I liked. If I wanted it a little slippery, I'd buy dress lining fabric. If I want it more casual, I'd chose a sturdy cotton. The biggest requirement would be to have a dense enough woven fabric that needles don't poke through. Even muslin would work. (Do you have any old sheets you'd like to re-engineer into a purse?)

I haven't tried this yet, but here's how I'd create the lining:

1. First remember the formula for determining the circumference of a circle is pi (3.14) x diameter. If the base of your bag is 7" across, you multiple that times 3.14 to get 21.98. Round up to the nearest inch to get 22 inches. Add another inch for seam allowance (23" is how wide your fabric needs to be.)

2. Now measure the height of the bag. My bag is 10.5 inches tall. I will need 1 1/2" for seam allowance and hem, so the height of the lining needs to be 12".

3. Cut a rectangle the height and width that you have determined. Mine is 12"x23".

4. Cut a circle 1" larger than the base of your bag. My base is 7" across, so my circle needs to be 8" across. This allows a 1/2" seam allowance all around.

5. Make a 1" hem on the top of the rectangle. (Fold the fabric 1/2" deep twice, then sew.)

6. Now -- do you want the drawstring to go through the lining as well as the fabric? If so, measure your knitting to see how far apart each eyelet is. Measure how far down the eyelets of your knitting are from the top. Mark dots on your fabric to identify the location of each eyelet. Make a small buttonhole (about 3/8") at each mark. Cut them open.

7. Right sides together, make a 1/2" seam to turn the rectangle into a cylinder.

8. Baste the bottom of the rectangle just outside the seam allowance -- say 3/8" in from the edge. Leave long tails on the basting thread. With right sides together, pin the rectangle to the circle, easing the basting thread to make the rectangle fit.
9. Sew in place.

10. With both the lining right side out and the knitted bag right side out, tuck the lining inside the bag, lining up the tops of each so the buttonholes and eyelets are in line with each other.

11. Sew the top of the lining to the top of the knit bag.

12. Thread the drawstring through bag and lining. If you see a need, tack the lining to the bag along the base seam in a few places.

No comments:

Post a Comment