Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Fortunately-Unfortunately Hat

It's done! Above is a picture of the Fortunately-Unfortunately, as well as the At Last They Are All Mine Socks that match it. Right after this photo was snapped, I had the Bright Idea to wash the hat and put it back on the mannequin. Perhaps the hat would stretch while it was being blocked.

The technique seems to be working. The hat is dry now, but I haven't taken it off the wig stand yet to try it on my head. I'm afraid it will still be too small for me. I'll try it -- tomorrow -- at Tara. Fortunately/Unfortunately Hat.

Fortunately there was nearly a skein of sock yarn left over to make a hat.
Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to finish the hat.
Fortunately, I visited Whimsical Wool and Elizabeth found me a white merino to use with the blue-green hand-dyed yarn.
Unfortunately, I had 2/3 of the hat finished and the snowflake design I imagined wasn't working into the crown of the cap as I wanted.
Fortunately, I don't mind frogging.
Unfortunately, I can't count. -- The new snowflake border didn't work, either.
Fortunately, I have graph paper. Several sheets of paper later, I have the border and the big snowflake for the crown graphed so it comes out even. I knit merrily away over the weekend. The hat goes everywhere with me.
Unfortunately, we were traveling when I finished the green section and I didn't have any scissors to cut the yarn to finish with white.
Fortunately, Pat has his handy-dandy Coffey County Library pocket knife that includes a pair of scissors.
Unfortunately, I'm not finished, so I can't tell you how this saga ends, but I'm doing the decreases on the crown and it's looking good. [I finished it at 4:00 AM Thurs. morning. What else do you do when you wake up to go to the Juan and can't get back to sleep?]

AND Fortunately there is enough green left to put a tassle on the top! [The tassle looked wimpy. I removed it.]

Unfortunately -- I'm afraid the hat is knit too tightly to fit any person in the family. Oh, well. Maybe there will be more grandkids -- someday. I can save it for them. [Blocking was the key! I washed the hat and left it on the wig head to dry. When I took it off, it fit! Now my hat will match my socks.]

No comments:

Post a Comment