Monday, January 12, 2009

Wamego Wool Fest 2009

Lala and Lisa at the Wamego Oz Museum














My friend Lisa, granddaughter Lala and I made it to Wamego. I saw several KansasKnitters there, so I believe we had a good turn out. Some of the vendors were surprised we came from so far away to see their wares.

We had a great time petting yarn, watching demos, and adding a few lines of stitches to the giant scarf project they had in the works. The goal is to make a scarf that will wrap around the entire room we were in by the time they hold another event in late Spring/early Summer. (didn't catch the details on that part.)

Even Lala, age 9, had a good time. She learned to needle felt. I now have a dark pink heart with a lighter pink "breast cancer" ribbon inside it to wear on my coat. Lisa received a felted Goldilocks for her sweater and Lala made a braided/felted breast cancer ribbon for her mom.

Lisa and I are now proud owners of drop spindles and some roving, but we aren't too certain what to do with them. Lala was humming "Baa Baa Black Sheep" at me as we were getting in the car, because I had 3 bags full. (Hey!T'were Ziplock  bags.) Sheep's wool, Alpaca, and Mohair. Don't know what I'll make from them, but it will probably be something small like scarves or hats. Some of KansasKnittersters talked about finding bamboo roving, but I didn't notice it or I would have tried that, too. Who knows. Next I may learn to dye yarn.

It looks like the spinning demos inspired many of us -- and reinforced those who already knew how. Lisa and I talked to a young girl named Ashley -- okay, she was young to me but probably college age (Lisa's age.) Dressed in black and very Goth, with a odd hairdo, spiked leather dog-collar necklace and strange jewelry, she made quite a contrast sitting there doing such a traditional craft as hand spinning yarn. She made spinning with a drop spindle look so-o-o easy. We caught the spinning bug from her. Spindles today, wheels tomorrow!

After talking to Ashley, we chatted with some of the vendors. One of the ladies had some expensive, weighted wheels to sell, but she told us there are lots of patterns available on the Internet. She showed us drop spindles that were made from CDs CDs and dowel rods. Talk about inexpensive equipment! My son always has a supply of "coasters" fCDs CDs that didn't burn properly. Since Lisa is his girlfriend, she has access to that stash... Hm... Resources! avarousricious leer> However, we opted for "real" ones made from wood that another vendor was selling. They were heavier. (Okay, they were the same spindle Ashley was using, so we thought we'd seen how they should be used.)

You know, watching someone do it IS NOT the same as doing it yourself? I chatted with Lisa online online later that evening. Neither of us was having any success getting started. Elizabeth of Whimsical Wool in LaHarpe, Ks., has come to the rescue. She heard my whimperings on a Kansasknits post and told me offline that she could teach me how to use this new toy. I will be visiting her very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment