Monday, February 20, 2006

Results of Cotton Yarn Investigations


All of the knitting samples have been finished.

I washed the three test subjects. The Lily yarn shrank the most -- which wasn't a whole lot, perhaps 1/2 in. on each side. The Lion Brand showed the least shrinkage. Bernat was the softest before and after washing.

Knitlist has had some discussion about Bernat Cottontots pilling badly, particularly with the colored yarns. My sample is off white. There isn't any serious pilling with it, but I would be careful to test colored yarn before making a large project with it.

Lion Brand impressed me because it was pretty "string-like" before washing, but washed up a bit softer than the Lily. It also lightened in color after washing. I'm going to show my testers to Steve and see which yarn he wants for his sweater. I'm leaning toward the Lion Brand because it's color is nice, it's has a good texture and is reasonably priced. The Bernat it definitely the softest, but I'm concerned about the possibility of pilling in the future.

I will be attaching photos of my test pieces and controls, plus close ups of the various yarns, as soon as I can get my husband to break out his good camera.

NEXT BIG PROJECT will be designing an Aran vest for my husband, Pat. I have the yarn for this in my stash, but have never developed my own pattern before. When I have mastered the vest, I'll be ready to take on Steve's full Aran sweater.

PRESENTLY ON THE NEEDLES: Double-knit hat for son, Joe. I knitted a watch cap for Joe for Christmas. He likes it but says it's not warm enough when the wind chill is around 10 degrees. I found the pattern for a double-knit ski cap through Knitting Pattern Central. Here's the link. http://alison.knitsmiths.us/pattern_double_knit_cap.html

I'm enjoying making the double-knit hat. I was afraid the 162 stitches cast on would make the hat too large. Trying on the first pass of 162 stitches saw my knitting falling down past my ears and landing like a collar around my neck. I subtracted 8 stitches (about 1 inch) and find this a better fit. The hat fits loosely around my head without expanding the stitches at all. Since I wear a small hat and Joe wears a large one, this should work for him. I hope to have the hat finished and in the mail to him by Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment