Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Starting Blog -- Feb. 2, 2006

Starting Blog -- Feb. 2, 2006

Knitting has become my passion this winter. I've already completed 12 scarves, 2 dog sweaters, 2 hats, 2 baby blankets and a neckwarmer since Halloween 2005. I currently have two projects working : a Barbie outfit for my granddaughter and a cotton dish cloth.

A dish cloth seems so prosaic, but there is a method to my madness. I want to make a cotton sweater for a friend, but don't know what yarn I want to use. I'm testing yarns by making dish cloths. I will make the first 2 of Lily Sugar 'n' Cream. The second two of Bernat's Cottontots. I want to sample Lion Cotton as well. I'll keep one of each "as knit" for control pieces and wash the other two. That will let me see how much they shrink and how the textures changes.

The Lily and Lion yarns appeal to me because I can buy the yarn in quantity in cones. It appears I'm going to need somewhere between 1800 and 2000 yards of yarn for the Aran sweater. I need something economical when I'm buying that much. And why cotton for an Aran sweater? Because wool is far to hot to wear in Texas!

Other projects in the wings are a WWII watch cap for the friend and an Aran vest for my husband. If my eyes don't give out I'm considering more Barbie clothes. (There ARE five granddaughters in the family. ) Making Barbie clothes with size 2 needles is a bit of eye strain. Image Yes, and I've promised to make a shawl and two more baby projects. Looks like I'll stay busy for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment